Thursday, July 10, 2008

Church of England and Women. Congratulations!

Although I am an atheist, I am proud of a lot of my Christian inheritance and in particular the Protestant side of it. My Dutch mother was brought up a Lutheran and my French father a Roman Catholic. Puritans notwithstanding, the West would not have embraced the Enlightenment and the Emancipation of Women as much as it did without Protestantism. Again, I have  a weak spot for the more liberal Protestant flowerings  like the Methodists, the Quakers and yes the Church of England. A few days ago, the C of E voted for an uncompromising bill that will allow women to be ordained as bishops. Well done. I can almost, but not quite, forgive Rowan his unrelenting appeasement of Islam.

Let those in the C of E who can't bear the idea of women's equality crawl off to the darkness of Catholicism.
     
        

No comments: